Tuesday, June 23, 2015

WHOM SHALL I FEAR?

Psalm 23 American Standard Version (ASV)

A Psalm of David.
1 Jehovah is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: He guideth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; 

Lexicon :: Strong's H3372 - yare'
יָרֵא (English :: fear)
Transliteration ~ yare'
Pronunciation ~ yä·rā' (Key)  
Part of Speech ~ verb
Root Word (Etymology) ~ A primitive root
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 907,908

KJV Translation Count — Total: 314x
The KJV translates Strongs H3372 in the following manner: fear (188x), afraid (78x), terrible (23x), terrible thing (6x), dreadful (5x), reverence (3x), fearful (2x), terrible acts (1x), misc (8x).

Outline of Biblical Usage
to fear, revere, be afraid
(Qal)
to fear, be afraid
to stand in awe of, be awed
to fear, reverence, honour, respect
(Niphal)
to be fearful, be dreadful, be feared
to cause astonishment and awe, be held in awe
to inspire reverence or godly fear or awe
(Piel) to make afraid, terrify
(TWOT) to shoot, pour

for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness shall follow me all the days of my life; And I shall dwell in the house of Jehovah for ever.

Psalm 27:1
By David. Jehovah is my light and my salvation, Whom do I fear? Jehovah is the strength of my life, Of whom am I afraid?

Job28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; And to depart from evil is understanding.

Isaiah 8:13 Jehovah of hosts, him shall ye sanctify; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.

No comments: